Re: Current talk from gnomedesktop.org

Yeah, I lurked on this list a while back...  it was wanting to be a
community run, debian based, ximian...  or at least that was my
opinion...

I also am interested in a home user oriented distro...  and I think it
would have to be community run to just focus on the home user.

I've thought a lot about the lower levels of the OS...  I would like to
innovate some on RedHat or Debian, or whatever we base it on...  Things
like parralel service starting... and the zerconf stuff I mentioned
before...  *I have a Powerbook G4(besides my day job, I'm also a church
planter, and the church uses all Mac stuff, so I was given a Mac laptop)
and so I can test this stuff...*

Other stuff that has crossed my mind is keeping with the Gnome
versions...  Current stable would be 2.2...  and our unstable would be
2.3, and so on...  Then we would do a release shortly after each stable
Gnome release, and the lower layers would be just be kept up with what
Gnome uses...  I like the idea of letting Gnome set the course...  if
they pick a web browser(epiphany vs galeon), video player(Totem vs
gst-player), music player(rhythmbox, net-rhythmbox, lymric, etc), IM
client(Gossip seems favored over Gaim), etc, etc, etc... we should just
use what is chosen...

I currently use Debian... but will look into RedHat's base...  and I
don't think we can realistically do anything big before september
anyways besides plan and choice artwork(this might be something we
disagree on, which is fine, but I'm all about usablility and prefer a
Lighthouse-Blue setup) and such...  but let's keep communicating while
we can and keeping brainstorming...  And I would love to see what you've
done so far...

Daniel