Re: Requirements definition

Bastien Nocera wrote:

Obviously it can be changed to generate other useful
informations (from kernel configuration option, we can
find if it is a scsi/sound/... card, ...)

I didn't follow the gnome discussion, so I don't
know what are you needs.

Sounds interesting. Do you have the sources for these tools somewhere ?

Yes, in my portable :-)  Unfortunatelly I'm busy this week.
In http://people.debian.org/~cate/files/misc/ you will find some
preliminary files. (IIRC the newer version is a lot better).
I will put at the end of this week in:
http://people.debian.org/~cate/files/gnome-os/
the newer scripts (they are not complete, but you can build a good hardware
database from every recent kernel automagically).

I have also some "broken/preliminary" script to extract other information
from running kernels and kernel sources, so if you need some special
data, just ask, probably I have already something in my house hd.

ciao
	giacomo

PS: languages: the tools to build database is in python because of
regex and easy to write and debug. End-user need only the database
[else: 100MB for kernel sources + some long calculation 10-30 minutes]
The database: I wrote so it is easly parseable with a shell script, thus
a simple format.

Cheers