Re: Connect to server feature

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 22:08, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Here goes,
>
> Mockup:
> http://www.hadess.net/files/shots/25-06-2002.1.jpg
>
> Ideas:
> 1) Completely based off Gnome-vfs (no kernel support needed)
> 2) supports:
> 	- ssh
> 	- smb
> 	- nntp
> 	- webdav
> 	- ftp
> (where's the nfs module gone ?)

afp? (AppleTalk File Protocol)

> 3) how it works ? Tries to open the uri mentioned as a directory.
> I. Permission denied ? Ask for password. Modify the URI in consequence.
> II. Still couldn't connect ? Fail.
> III. Works, create a .desktop in the user's desktop (saving
> username/password),

What kind of protection on this? Could it use the Mozilla/Galeon "save
passwords under another password" feature?

> add it to the user's favourites (more on that
> later), and open this desktop file with nautilus.
>
> Browse feature:
> Merely a virtual folder containing the local network neighbourhood as
> smb:/// gives us, and the user's favourites. The main problem being that
> only smb: gives us a browsing feature. That sucks, but that's life.
>
> Why no kernel support ? Because it only has smb and nfs support builtin,
> the others working more or less (rather less than more). And mixing
> gnome-vfs with kernel style, would only give the user more problems.
> (need for root, permissions on mounted devices depending on who mounted
> it, etc.)
>
> Ideas ? Before I start implementing this thing ;)
>
> Cheers
>
> PS: BTW, where should we put the code ? Obviously in Gnome CVS, but
> where ?

gnome-vfs-extras right now contains the smb: handler and a (broken?)
rio500: handler. Might be best place to start.

Ideally? Split gnome-vfs-extras into e.g. gnome-vfs-smb, gnome-vfs-nfs,
et al...