Re: Connect to server feature

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 10:40, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 15:18, Bruce Robert Pocock wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 22:08, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > Here goes,
> > >
> > > Mockup:
> > > http://www.hadess.net/files/shots/25-06-2002.1.jpg
> > >
> > > Ideas:
> > > 1) Completely based off Gnome-vfs (no kernel support needed)
> > > 2) supports:
> > > 	- ssh
> > > 	- smb
> > > 	- nntp
> > > 	- webdav
> > > 	- ftp
> > > (where's the nfs module gone ?)
> >
> > afp? (AppleTalk File Protocol)
>
> No, it's not supported, because nobody wrote a method for it.

I'll try to dig around for the crufty remnants... I don't think it ever
got working enough to hit GNOME-CVS, but there once was one that
occasionally even worked...

> > > 3) how it works ? Tries to open the uri mentioned as a directory.
> > > I. Permission denied ? Ask for password. Modify the URI in consequence.
> > > II. Still couldn't connect ? Fail.
> > > III. Works, create a .desktop in the user's desktop (saving
> > > username/password),
> >
> > What kind of protection on this? Could it use the Mozilla/Galeon "save
> > passwords under another password" feature?
>
> We'll need a decent keychain mechanism in Gnome. I'll try to see if I
> can find the relevant headers on MacOS X, for us to mock up an API.
>
> > > add it to the user's favourites (more on that
> > > later), and open this desktop file with nautilus.
> > >
> > > Browse feature:
> > > Merely a virtual folder containing the local network neighbourhood as
> > > smb:/// gives us, and the user's favourites. The main problem being that
> > > only smb: gives us a browsing feature. That sucks, but that's life.
> > >
> > > Why no kernel support ? Because it only has smb and nfs support builtin,
> > > the others working more or less (rather less than more). And mixing
> > > gnome-vfs with kernel style, would only give the user more problems.
> > > (need for root, permissions on mounted devices depending on who mounted
> > > it, etc.)
> > >
> > > Ideas ? Before I start implementing this thing ;)
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > PS: BTW, where should we put the code ? Obviously in Gnome CVS, but
> > > where ?
> >
> > gnome-vfs-extras right now contains the smb: handler and a (broken?)
> > rio500: handler. Might be best place to start.
>
> Geez. Did you come here to annoy me ? I wrote the rio500 method, and it
> bloody works. You should well be more tactful next time.

Mea culpa. I've got two gnome-vfs-extras packages (Red Hat and I think
Yellow Dog) and both excluded it, I just made a (bad) assumption that it
wasn't working. My apologies...!

> > Ideally? Split gnome-vfs-extras into e.g. gnome-vfs-smb, gnome-vfs-nfs,
> > et al...
>
> Why o why would I put the "Connect to server" feature in
> gnome-vfs-extras, and why would I split it ?
>
> I reckon I'll put it in gnome-panel.

Sorry, was assuming this was to be part of VFS for e.g. "Open File..."
common dialogs and the like, in line with the "[Network...]" button in
Windows 3.11... I appear to be 3 strikes on this one :-(