[Fwd: Re: packages license]

/me bangs his head in the wall, REPLY to the list !! :)

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/
tis 2002-06-25 klockan 03.53 skrev Seth Nickell:
> On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 17:02, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > Heya,
> >
> > What as a distributor would we recommend the people installing. ie.
> > Would we install any "non-free" packages ?

Hehe, I was thinking the exact same question yesterday.

> > I'm thinking of java, the microsoft core fonts, and some other things
> > with dubious legal status (under US laws that is, like lame, freetype
> > with hinting, gif plugin for gimp, etc.).
>
> I'm willing to install non-free stuff, but I'd (obviously) prefer to
> restrict it to as little as possible. I'm happy to have a 90% free
> software product on 100 desktops rather than a 100% free software on 90
> desktops.

I agree with Seth here. Lets make the user experience as good as
possible, choosing free software when possible. For example the MS core
fonts, those are very nice to have for the user.

Same with Java, it would be nice to integrate Java really well in the
platform so that a user can just download his Java-app and run it
without all the fuzz. Would be even more nice if Sun decided to make
Java render through Gtk+ on *nix.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/
Office: +46 (0)8 587 583 05     Cell: +46 (0)709 718 918

--- End Message ---