Re: packages license

<quote who="Seth Nickell">

> > What as a distributor would we recommend the people installing. ie.
> > Would we install any "non-free" packages ?
> >
> > I'm thinking of java, the microsoft core fonts, and some other things
> > with dubious legal status (under US laws that is, like lame, freetype
> > with hinting, gif plugin for gimp, etc.).
>
> I'm willing to install non-free stuff, but I'd (obviously) prefer to
> restrict it to as little as possible.

Yeah, I agree. My system ends up being like that (acroread although it
sucks, Win4Lin, msttcorefonts, freetype, etc). No lame or gif though. :-)

Make OGGs, read MP3s... Sound fair? ;-)

> I'm happy to have a 90% free software product on 100 desktops rather than
> a 100% free software on 90 desktops.

Oh man, that's like Richard Stallman's most horrible nightmare statement.

- Jeff

--
                             He's not an idiot.
                            The doctor said so.