Re: xdg-app discussions at the GNOME DX hackfest

On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 14:54 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
On fre, 2015-01-30 at 11:28 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
<snip>
* What happens when multiple versions of an app is installed?
Say TheApp 2.0 and 2.2 is installed. Both of these will have the same
dbus id, and thus necessarily the same desktop file id name. We can't
auto-rename this during export, because it *has* to be the name of the
dbus name. Not to mention that the UI in the shell when launching apps
will be very confusing.

The resolution we came up with here is that xdg-app needs to track which
version of an app is "active", and only export the files from that one.
One could then swap this at a later time. If the developer wants to have
parallel installable apps will have to rename one of them. The typical
usecase for this is beta/development releases of an app. Such apps could
be renamed to e.g. "TheApp (Testing)" in the desktop file and
org.foo.TheApp.Testing as the dbus name. Ryan wanted to add an option to
GApplication to be able to use a custom dbus name, then this renaming
could be done purely in the desktop/service file rather than having to
rebuild the app.

This is something that would be useful right now, so I can run both my
main web browser, or video player, and still be able to hack on them ;)

<snip>