Re: GRAND MASTER PLAN

[re: reporting]

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:57:05AM -0500, Jody Goldberg was heard to remark:

> Sounds like what you really need is a way to generate an abi
> document that contains a spreadsheet and a way to print the result.

Yes, possibly.  To answer Chris Browne's question more directly:

Imagine a dunning letter:

                                         [company motto]

       Dear Mr. XXX,

       Your account with us is now XXX days overdue. Please
       remit XXX dollars immediately.

                                    Sincerly,
                                    William "Bill" Collector

Its not really a spreasheet.  The bill might be itemized, and a table
would be needed for that, but it really is abi and not gnumeric that is
best suited for this type of a report.

(Put another way: looking at existing gnucash function, vs. future
gnucash function, the existing report infrastructure is "adequate"
and is able to do tables just fine.  Replacing the existing infrasture
with gnumeric doesn't expand gnucash abilities all that much.
Other than to provide the 'export to gnumeric' feature that people
ask for.)

Speaking of which, is there an example of how a programmer (in C or
scheme) can create a gnumeric spreadshhet & put data into it?  I'm
not sure I've ever seen such a thing.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>