Re: Gnome Office, Bonobo and other apps

> Le mer 10/03/2004 à 08:26, Hubert Figuiere a écrit :
>> On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 16:08, Jean Bréfort wrote:
>>
>> > I have started developing applications related to chemistry
>> (GChemPaint
>> > and Gnome Crystal) some years ago, using the gtk+ and gnome libs with
>> > the hope I'll be able one day to incorporate data inside Abiword and
>> > other gnome apps using Bonobo.
>> > I could do it in gnumeric-1.0 (but the data were not saved) but never
>> in
>> > abiword, which would be much more interesting.
>> > I'd like to know if there are plans to use Bonobo embedding (may be I
>> > can help).
>>
>> Jean,
>>
>> This sounds interesting. We'd love to have equations as well :-)
>>
>> BTW, AbiWord does not support embedding yet. One of the major issue is
>> that we want to make cross-platform foundations for embedding to keep
>> documents portable, and on top of that provide binging to Bonobo,
>> KParts, OLE or whatever is en vogue on the platform. We also wants to
>> make sure the document can be viewed without the application that made
>> the object.
>
> This is just my opinion.
>
>>  For that we need the application to be able to provide a SVG
>> view of the embedded object... Problem: we don't support SVG yet.
>
> Providing a SVG view will be easy for gnome apps, since gnome-print has
> a svg backend (only cvs version).

Dom has done great work getting the svg backend for gnome-print. Although
what he has now is more a proof of concept. Dom ran across some absolutely
fundamental limitations of gnome-print doing this. The SVG printing only
works for Latin-1 charsets at this point.

We also need to print the svg's. I guess this is some sort of svg ->
translation.

There is a lot of code on the internet that goes part-way to doing this
but I guess Dom and the gnome-print guys have their own plans...

Care to enlighten us Dom, Jody?

> For Bonobo, I think we need a specialized interface which would provide
> everything necessary, in particular svg and serialization (might be
> IDL:Bonobo/OfficeComponent:1.0. IMHO the IDL:Bonobo/PersistStream:1.0 is
> not the best thing. An interface which would ensure an xml stream would
> be much better.

So is the idea we get an SVG and an XML representation of document via
this interface?

This is eaxctly the idea we (or at least me) have been thinking of.

Cheers,

Martin