Re: [gnome-db] What DWI does [was Re: GnuCash page on GO site]

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> writes:

> well, if they are useful and generic enough, I guess they might be added
> to libgda, no problem with that. It is that I was understanding they
> were some GNUCash-specific stuff.

Well, right now it's all gnucash-specific stuff ;)

I think linas has been working on some more generic stuff.  Personally
I think it _can_ be done generically, but I haven't put much thought into
it myself.  I'm not really a database person.

I suspect it needs to live in the actual object-data-caching layer,
wherever that happens to be implemented.  If that's qof, then it
probably belongs in qof.  If that's gda, then it probably belongs in
gda.  But again, I haven't put much thought into it.

As it stands now, each qof backend module would need to implement its
own type of cache consistency (or file locking in the case of XML
files).  This is because each backend necessarily does it differently.
Case in point: how would you have multiple writers into an XML file?

I'm certainly not whetted to any particular approach, I'm just worried
about the availability (and deployment) of dependencies on our release
schedule (not that we have one in stone, mind you ;)

-derek
       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available