Re: GnuCash page on GO site

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 23:13 -0600, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:13:17PM +1100, msevior physics unimelb edu au was heard to remark:

> > > Perhaps it is worth formally documenting them somewhere.  From your
> > > descriptions (template-editable-in-word-processor and
> > > database-fields-pulled-together) I don't see any reason it cannot be
> > > accomplished well.  I might even help code to such a project.
> > >

> > AbiWord certainly has the capability to do all this right now.
>
> I like that; one plan was to use the edit abilites in gtkhtml3 but
> that's not as nice as a "real" word processor, at least for printing.
> For reports that are meant to be web pages, then ... ?
>
> > I can show
> > you how to construct documents that use libgda to pull in content from
> > whatever data source you want for programmable fields laid out in tables.
>
> My gut feel is that libgda offers the wrong abstractions.
> Although gnucash data can be (is) represented as SQL, that's
> the wrong place to work.

libgda supports SQL, oif course, but that's not the only way to access
data. An example:

	GdaDataModel *model;
	GdaCommand *cmd;

	cmd = gda_command_new ("table_name", GDA_COMMAND_TYPE_TABLE, 0);
	model = gda_connection_execute_single_command (cnc, cmd, NULL);

here, 'model' contains the contents of the 'table_name' table. As you
can see, no SQL at all.

There is also a way to modify the data, without any SQL at all, although
this needs still some support to be added for some providers (= database
plugins), which will be ready for libgda 1.2

I am starting to think that you are using the old libgda for GNOME 1.4,
is that the case?

>  There's a lot of pulling things together
> that must happen before the data is reportable.  For example,
> computing account balances can be quite complicated; its not a
> simple sql query or a simple table lookup.

right, that's why libgda gives you some extra data management classes.
Specifically, there is GdaSelect, which gives you the ability to put
some data models (tables) together and do, without any client->server
interaction, SQL queries, even if the underlying database does not
support SQL.

> Note, another requirement would be the ability to run the reports
> as a batch job, or as a cgi-bin. But this is for the future, no for
> short term.  Something to think about.

right, that's why there is the libgda / libgnomedb separation. libgda is
completely non-GUI, does not depend on any X / GTK /GNOME library and
thus can be used in command-line tools, cgi-bins, etc

cheers