Re: GnuCash page on GO site

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 07:15:20PM +0000, Alan Horkan was heard to remark:
> > Themeability also has damned little to do with it.  The
> > internationally accepted colors for go/caution/stop are
> > green/yellow/red.  If you want, create a theme with lime
> > green and ale red, but good lord don't exchange red for green.
>
> I was amused to learn from the usability people that Japanese traffic
> lights use Blue not Green for Go.

The japanese theme could use blue instead of green.

In Bulgaria, they shake thier heads to mean 'yes' and nod to mean 'no'.
It is truly confusing to be an outsider and ask a Bulgarian a
question and they say "yes" and then shake thier head.  So you
jump and say "hey great joke but I didn't get it, so answer
me straight yes or no", and they look at you quizically, and
once again reply with the words and body langauge 180 reversed.

(and the fun doesn't stop. Your translator insists they said "yes"
but you can see the guy violently shaking his head...)

> a Visual Bell (*) and accessiblity features to flash the window decortions

No, in my case, it was the specific need to have different rows
on a list to have different background colors.  This has been
a repeated request from a number of users.  Presumably, those
users who want this feature will use it, and those who don't
won't use it.  I haven't thought about whether this should be
enabled by default (posibly/probably not).  Either way, the colors
are corallated to a low/medium/high status for each line item,
which is why the mapping to go/caution/stop is a natural color map.

(By contrast, I notice that bugzilla uses red & bold to mark
up different line items. So maybe green/yellow/red are not
the best indicators, maybe this bold/red markup for line items
is better. But then its not clear how to signify "medium".
Status reports almost always use green/yellow/red for line items.
Sorry for clouding the issue, but this is the issue in a nutshell.)

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>