Re: GnuCash page on GO site

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 06:02, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> In my particular need (I cannot speak in generality on this),
> I want to have a list of items, on say, a neutral background,
> and some of the items on the list are in (for example) green,
> to indicate that they're 'in progress' and going well, and some
> others in red, indicating that an alarm has gone off, and need
> attention now.

Right... but if one of the columns in the list was some sort of status
icon or progress indicator, that would make the colour redundant, which
is good for everyone, not just people with accessibility needs. (E.g the
user now potentially has the ability to sort the list by status, which
may or may not be useful in your case.)

In conjunction with an "only use colours from theme" mode in your app,
in which the user would have to rely on this status indicator alone,
you'd be pretty much HIG-friendly, I think.

> Flashing red even.

Flashing bad... would almost certainly need to be turned off by default,
for accessibility if not sanity reasons :)

> Sure. Execpt themes don't usually have "ok/warning/emergency" colors
> defined, I might be wrong ...

You're right, they don't... IMHO themes could probably do with a small
set (maybe four or so) of additional "highlight" colours for this sort
of thing.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group