Re: GnuCash page on GO site

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 17:26, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Dependencies are fine when you can assume your user already has it
> installed.  Problems arrise when that assumption fails.  Me, I'm
> conservative in that manner and would rather err on the side of
> caution and provide a good user experience (which starts when they
> download the tarball and read how many damn other libraries they have
> to build!).
>
> So, surely you can understand that a hard-to-build application gets
> fewer users, and it's the user-base that makes an application
> worthwhile.

This is why GO is important as a meta-project, so that the member
projects can share dependencies and GO can be distributed in a manner
not dissimilar to OOo or MSO, where the libraries (and both OOo and MSO
have many) are installed seemlessly with the suite.

Obviously this would be a bit different on Linux where distributions
will always have a choice, but it is important from a Windows (and
MacOS, QNX?, BeOS?) perspective.
--
- Charlie

The future of the net - www.xwt.org