Re: GnuCash page on GO site

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 17:24, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Oh, so this isn't even released yet??  UGGH.  Perhaps gnucash-2.2,
> then.  I don't want co-dependencies when we release gnucash-2; I want
> all the dependencies to be well-available.

>From what you indicated, Gnucash-2 is months away at best.  libgoffice
is progressing quickly and probably be released by the time gnucash-2 is
ready.  Why waste your time messing about with guppi when you can help
libgoffice evolve simply by using it?  It's not as if it would consume
any resources.

> GnuCash wont code to non-released dependencies

Ordinarily this is a good approach.  But to go with guppi over
libgoffice would be a really big mistake.

> Basically, we choose a base system (let's say FC-1 -- it was RH9 (and
> even RH8 for a while) but the g2 port is taking long enough that we
> might change it)...  We want as many deps as possible to be available
> on the base platform.  This means GTK-2.2.4 is our target.

By coding custom widgets now that are in Gtk 2.4 you are just generating
yourselves extra work when, by your own admission, you are short on man
power.

You are also aiming at today's distros when, by your own admission,
Gnucash-2 is not even alpha quality yet.  When you release you'll be six
months or more out of sync and you'll be playing catch up again.

Your comments sound, to me, like you're willing to place limits to keep
people happy.  You can't always appease everybody.  Distributions catch
up incredibly quickly with things like Gtk.  And for everybody else,
there's the Gnucash-1.x series.

I understand you don't want a repeat of the libgal situation, but in all
honesty Gtk is not another-libgal and neither is libgoffice.  They are
high quality core projects (core to Gnome and core to GNOME Office).

Anyway, that's enough noise from me on this topic.  Regardless, I'm
looking forward to seeing Gnucash progress. ;)
--
- Charlie

The future of the net - www.xwt.org

Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>