Re: GnuCash page on GO site

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 09:41:48AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org> writes:
>
> > Agreed.  As the developers of apps that sit near the top of the
> > stack we pay the price for the aggregate complexity of the
> > underlying stack.  GNUCash was obviously been burned back in the
> > gnome-1.4 era along with the rest of us.  Have a look at gnome2.x,
> > it is significantly better and should alay your worries.
>
> We're porting to gnome-2, but due to the sheer number of changes
> it's not an easy task.

understood, it is a non trivial jump.

> * Gnucash has a lot of custom widgets -- all of these need to be ported
> * Gnucash uses a number of libraries/apis which don't exist in gnome-2:
>   - ghttp
Have a look at gnetwork

>   - guppi
This is unmaintined and has been replaced by the engine in
libgoffice.  It is not as all powerful as guppi was and the api is
still in flux, but it should get the job done.  It's flavour is part
way between guppi-tank and guppi.

> * The gtkhtml api is drastically different..  And we're not sure whether
>   we should be using gtkhtml-2 or gtkhtml-3
That depends.  gtkhtml-3 == gtk2-ified gtkhtml
gtkhtml2 was a rewrite that is less functional in some areas (does
not include editing) but had solid accessibility support.

> I'm sure I can come up with other issues, too.  But the number of
> differences is extremely large, so the port is taking a significant
> number of man-months to complete.  Considering we don't get many man-hours
> of development time every month, it's taking a while.  If we had
> full-time developers it would probably help significantly.

Ain't that the truth.  Which is why to my mind, sharing the work
load is an imperative.