Re: GnuCash page on GO site

Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org> writes:

> Agreed.  As the developers of apps that sit near the top of the
> stack we pay the price for the aggregate complexity of the
> underlying stack.  GNUCash was obviously been burned back in the
> gnome-1.4 era along with the rest of us.  Have a look at gnome2.x,
> it is significantly better and should alay your worries.

We're porting to gnome-2, but due to the sheer number of changes
it's not an easy task.

* Gnucash has a lot of custom widgets -- all of these need to be ported
* Gnucash uses a number of libraries/apis which don't exist in gnome-2:
  - ghttp
  - guppi
  - ...
* The gtkhtml api is drastically different..  And we're not sure whether
  we should be using gtkhtml-2 or gtkhtml-3

I'm sure I can come up with other issues, too.  But the number of
differences is extremely large, so the port is taking a significant
number of man-months to complete.  Considering we don't get many man-hours
of development time every month, it's taking a while.  If we had
full-time developers it would probably help significantly.

-derek

       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available