Dom

From: Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org>
To: Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>
CC: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan ryand net>,Andy Korvemaker <lists gnome akorvemaker fastmail fm>,Gnome Office <gnome-office-list gnome org>
Subject: New website layout
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:58:48 -0500

Ok the votes are in and the results are very consistent everyone i
polled (and several that I didn't who helped out anyway) preferred
    http://www.charlietech.com/goffice
but people definitely wanted to see some of the slicker bits of the
ryand.net site merged in.

Comments
} ryand.net offering fails to immediately convey the purpose of the site
} also, poor use of space no scalability
} it makes me think more of an ipod than office productivity software
} ie good in a general markety way, but not very well targeted
} the other design is significantly more functional
} i would say, choose function over form, and get an artist to
} prettify and reorg the raw material in the charlietech design

or
} i definitely prefer the charlietech one, but the rollover
} highlights that aren't clickable must die.

or
} I like http://www.charlietech.com/goffice

with suggestions for improving it to the effect of
} there is no reason to go to either extreme given the talents
} apparently at your disposal big thing to decide when reorging these
} is - who is your target audience?  if you have more than one, make
} your front page simple, with a path to choose for each type of user
} there is no reason to put every bit of information on your home
} page, just a clear way to find it.  that is the weakness of the
} charlietech design.  too much at once.  but in general it is
} better to have too much information than to be obscure

I would like to applaud both efforts, and apologise for rushing
things to a vote.  You've both done some really nice work.  Lets get
you some CVS accounts so that you can start playing with the same
site,  Getting some of these sweet new layouts up on the server
would be fantastic.

Lets GO!  (hmm there has to be a marketing slogan in there somewhere)