RE: the advantage of XSL (was Re: website contender (beta))

Not really.  CSS is flexible but it only allows you to alter the visual
appearance, not the visual structure of the page.  XSLT allows you to
alter both.  Even the slightlest variations in visual structure can
provide a nightmare for CSS.  Incidently, CSS would not be as inflexible
if the major browsers properly and consistently supported it.  But they
don't.

Not really. For a laundry-list of counter examples, see http://www.csszengarden.com/. Every site uses the same HTML page but a different CSS stylesheet. The pages also work well in MSIE. I do recognize that MSIE doesn't have a nearly standards-compliant CSS implementation.

In short, I'm not really in favor of having differently styled HTML pages - like one "Microsoft" one, one "Gnome" one, ... I guess I don't see the point other than proof that it could be done. But if that's to be the case, I'm definitely not in favor of using XSLT to accomplish what you want.

Dom