RE: the advantage of XSL (was Re: website contender (beta))

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 16:26, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> In short, I'm not really in favor of having differently styled HTML pages

Neither am I.  One look should fit all.

> I'm definitely not in favor of using XSLT to accomplish what you want.

You were misunderstanding my hang-ups over CSS.  You cannot take an
arbitrary XML file and use CSS to make it look the way you want it to.
It requires appropriate wrapping of <div/> tags etc.  This makes content
integrated with layout which blah de blah inferior to having them apart.

It's more for things like:
- ease of content generation - layout agnostic, html/css is not
- ease of content reuse - can grab stuff from multiple files

To be honest, using JSP tags is probably just as effective.  There's a
variety of approaches we can take.  But static HTML/CSS is not one of
them although any generated content will no doubt make use of CSS.
--
- Charlie

The future of the net - www.xwt.org

Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>