Re: FW: Re: gnome-office website (was Re: We're removed from FC2 ?)

>>>In gtk 2.2 we just got the first format gtk presented us with. So I
>>> think
>>>we should make the next GO release with gtk 2.4 only (provided with have
>>>this copy/paste working between AbiWord and Gnumeric.)
>>
>>   Would this have huge impact on multiple platforms? Particularly
>> Windows?
>
> Huh? Gtk 2.3 works great on windows. Also, what is this comment in
> relation
> to? In GTK 2.x clipboards, you don't get the first format GTK presents you
> with. You get back whatever format you select from the available Targets.
> If
> you fail to import that format and you don't select another format from
> the
> target list, that's your application's fault, not GTK's.

Sorry I was talking rubbish. There was a problem of not getting the next
format without dpoing a main loop itteration wasn' t there? Has that been
fixed?

>>>For mutual embedding we really need proper SVG support. So Gnumeric can
>>>make a SVG representation of itself (same for Abi) and we can embed
>>> these
>>>as images in each others applications.
>>
>>   Can we leverage the Inkscape team here, somehow?  Is there a virtual
>>printer out there that outputs svg?
>
> Why and how would inkscape help here? What you want is a SVG backend to
> gnome-print.

Yes and a good way to render SVG with text elements in the apps too.

>>We also need a presentation program. I'm of the opinion that it would be
>>>rather easy to re-use about 95% of the AbiWord codebase for this and get
>>>something decent within a year if I do it all myself. It would go much
>>>faster if other developers got involved.
>
> I'm not of that opinion.

I genuinely think I could do this if I concentrated 100% on it instead of
AbiWord. However I'm not going to stop working on AbiWord in the
forseeable future so I guess you're right. I still think I know *how* to
do it and if I get stuck with concepts on the design I'm sure ldr would be
happy to help set me straight.

Martin