SVG support [was Re: GO logo]

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Jody Goldberg wrote:

> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:16:26 -0500
> From: Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>,
>      Gnome Office <gnome-office-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: GO logo
>
> On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 01:07:05AM +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> >
> > (Cut and paste text and raster graphics probably.  if gnumeric could
> > output graphs as SVG and Dia didn't have such crappy SVG support maybe?
>
> gnumeric can output graphs as svg.

This is good to know.  I will do my best to get a CVS build of Gnumeric
going and try it out and perhaps suggest things that would make it easier
for Dia to import the SVG.  (Dia only understands hex values for colour,
not RGB values or names.  Dia only directly understands the svg namespace,
it cannot even import anything that has been subclassed <svg:svg>.
However i think improvements have been made that I am unaware of and in
adddition to the native import of SVG there is also an XSLT infrastucture
which I believe has SVG import which is probably better than the native
suppport, at least better in some ways)

> > possibly use of libgsf but that would take a bit of development.)
> >
> > Who knows!
> > I certainly dont and I cant risk suggesting it because I'm crap at
> > programming and even so I should be doing much more to help Dia.
>
> I'd be much more interested in using dia as the equivalent of ms
> escher.  A shared drawing layer for all the office apps.

In all honesty I think Inkscape is more like to provide in that regard.
Dia had Bonobo support before the Gnome2 port but I forget if it has been
reenabled, similarly with Inkscape (sodipodi, inkscape didn't exist before
the Gnome2 port) but I think they have bonobo support working again.

But dont take my word for it ask the dia list.

I can say without doubt that we need a better vector graphics support in
GTK, Dia shouldn't need to implement rotation itself (even rotation by 90
degrees would have done wonders for Dia) but it is hard enough to find
someone willing and able to do this at application level let alone at the
toolkit level.

sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/