Re: GO logo

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Charles Goodwin wrote:

> Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:49:11 +0000
> From: Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>
> To: Gnome Office <gnome-office-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: GO logo
>
> On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 22:22, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > Sorry, interesting idea but I really dont like how it turned out.
> > Using the Gnome foot for the letter G is a little confusing and
> > using teh Gnome foot backwards for the letter O is completely baffling.
>
> The problem is that I know it's a G and O, hence it looked fine when I
> was doing it.  But will somebody who doesn't know of GO (or even what
> Gnome is) look at it and be baffled?  Um, probably.  Does that matter
> much?  Arguably not.  They'll find out eventually and what other letter
> propends to -ffice to make a word.  (Not that I'm advocating a we take a
> care-free approach on the matter.)

> > > The icon is really cute though :)
> >
> > This however I do like.
> > That there is more than one foot suggests to me some sense of it being a
> > collection (but I'm probably reading too much into it).
>
> Well it is a collection of software that is oriented around (but not
> necessarily requiring [1]) the Gnome platform.
>
> [1] It'd be really cool if all of GO was cross platform.  Abiword
> already is and Gnumeric is heading that way.  It'd be amazing to be able
> to drop in a LiveCD of GO and load up GO apps in Windows, just to show
> off what people are missing without scaring them by booting into a Linux
> environment.

Dia runs on windows too but development is slow and there isn't huge
potential for integration.

(Cut and paste text and raster graphics probably.  if gnumeric could
output graphs as SVG and Dia didn't have such crappy SVG support maybe?
possibly use of libgsf but that would take a bit of development.)

Who knows!
I certainly dont and I cant risk suggesting it because I'm crap at
programming and even so I should be doing much more to help Dia.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/