RE: Plugin System

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 05:15, Jon K=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=E5re?= Hellan wrote:
> >===== Original Message From <msevior physics unimelb edu au> =====
> >Hi Everyone,
> >            I shortened the CC list! I have been reading this thread but
> >haven't understood all the details.
> >
> >However from my experience with the AbiWord plugins we should have the
> >following capabilities:
> >
> >An XML description of the plugin, it's location in the menu structure(s)
> >(it might appear in the main menu or one or more context menu's) and/or
> >toolbar structure, it's name and it's tooltip. This all needs to be
> >localizable.
> >
> >At startup the plugin loader should recognize these and update the
> >applications menu and toolbar structure.
> >
> >However we should also have the option of waiting until first execution
> >for actually loading the plugin.
> >
> >This defers the startup speed hit until the plugin actually needed, while
> >making sure that user knows the plugin is available from the menu
> >structure.
>
> For the general case, this sounds right.
>
> However, administrators and users who want to deploy site local or user
> personal plugins may be willing to accept slower startup if a plugin can be a
> single file.

This is one of the things we have been discussing. Doing a single file
plugin which would be slower, but caching the data so that only the
first time the plugin is probed its slow. So, say, I add the foo.py
plugin. The next time I run Gnumeric, the startup time is slow since it
has to probe the new file and extract the metadata. This meta data is
added to the plugins.cache (or whatever) file and then subsequent runs
of gnumeric just read in the plugins.cache file since there are no new
plugins. This makes adding new plugins easy and makes startup times
quick other then the first time.