Re: Plugin System

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 03:19, msevior physics unimelb edu au wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>             I shortened the CC list! I have been reading this thread but
> haven't understood all the details.
>
> However from my experience with the AbiWord plugins we should have the
> following capabilities:
>
> An XML description of the plugin, it's location in the menu structure(s)
> (it might appear in the main menu or one or more context menu's) and/or
> toolbar structure, it's name and it's tooltip. This all needs to be
> localizable.

Hmm... A menu item service. This is something I haven't considered.
Following the current implementation discussion and the way you would
like them, you could implement a menu item service and a proxy for it.
Then store all the information needed for the menu item in the metadata.
This is a very shareable service type, so maybe we should have this one
provided stock.

> At startup the plugin loader should recognize these and update the
> applications menu and toolbar structure.

My app doesn't have a menu, so the plugin system should require them.
But building on top of the plugin system (maybe a gui lib) to provide
this feature should be doable.

> However we should also have the option of waiting until first execution
> for actually loading the plugin.

Yeah. Thats what the proxy discussion going on is about.

> This defers the startup speed hit until the plugin actually needed, while
> making sure that user knows the plugin is available from the menu
> structure.
>
> If the GIMP did something like this it's startup time would be redcued by
> about a factor 3.

Yeah.

> Cheers
>
> Martin