Re: Making Conglomerate part of Gnome Office

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 04:38, Dave Malcolm wrote:
> I'm the lead programmer/maintainer of Conglomerate, a free (as in GPL)
> user-friendly XML editor based on GNOME technologies; see
> http://www.conglomerate.org
>
> I think that Conglomerate ought to become a part of Gnome Office.  In
> fact, Jody gave his blessing to the idea at GUADEC, although this was in
> the pub, and large quantities of Guinness had been consumed :-)

ugh :-) I hope he still agrees :-)

I am in favor of adding conglomerate to GO. The only problem seems to be
its unstability. But, if you are working on it, and if we can have it
stable by GNOME 2.6 time, then I guess we all agree in adding it.

> At the least, please can Conglomerate appear on this page:
> http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/

hmm, that page is a bit out of date, since GNOME Office 1.0 did just
include abiword, gnumeric and gnome-db. So we have to do something,
either start getting the other apps to release with us, or remove them
from the page, or move them to a 'Future GO apps' section.

> Conglomerate isn't yet stable/fast enough for production use, and might
> not yet be ready for integration into your release schedules.
>
> In addition, there are some pieces of code that Conglomerate contains
> that ought to be useful to other office apps.  The main ones are
> routines to generate HIG-compliant (I hope) error messages from GnomeVFS
> errors for File->Open, File->Save, and a Save before Closing
> confirmation dialog.  The dialogs attempt to spot special-cases, and
> present genuinely useful information, rather than merely convert an
> error code into a text string.  Here are some screenshots:
> http://www.conglomerate.org/shots/file_open_error.png
> http://www.conglomerate.org/shots/file_save_error.png
> http://www.conglomerate.org/shots/file_save_confirm.png
>
> There's a bunch of other stuff as well.  All of this ought to be spun
> off into some kind of shared library, I suppose.

yes, we need, now that we've got 1.0 out, to start thinking more
seriously about the libgnomeoffice stuff. I'll send a separate message
wwith its current status to start the discussion.

cheers