Re: How do we want the different parts to integrate (Was Re: What goes in gnome office? (Lets keep it simple))

ons 2002-04-17 klockan 00.29 skrev Rodrigo Moya:
> On Tue, 2002-04-16 at 23:40, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> >
> > Well, this is just a try to get the discussion started on how we really
> > want the different parts to integrate. If we know that it's much easier
> > to start figuring what's the shortest path to get it.
> >
> I think we should define some generic way of integrating apps, not only
> specific ways (accessing Evolution from MrProject, GDA plugin in
> gnumeric, etc). Having some generic way of making 2 GO apps talk very
> easily, without knowing of each other.
>
> Of course, specific 'plugins' are also a good idea, since they give more
> features and integration, but having some generic way of sharing data
> might be nice.
>
> For this, it seems Bonobo is again the best option, since we could:
>
> * allow communication of apps via known interfaces.
> * embed graphics made in 1 app into another (MrProject's graphs,
> GNOME-DB graphs, Gnumeric graphs, etc)
> * embed *any* GO document into any GO app

Yes I agree, having special interfaces between each app is not a
solution. What I meant was just that if we try to identify the things
that we'd like to do it will be easier to identify generic interfaces.

> Of course, we could just use a simple plugin system (shared libraries),
> without Bonobo at all, but, at the end, what we need is a set of common
> interfaces (CORBA or non-CORBA) so that making GO apps talk to each
> other is easy.

non-CORBA! non-CORBA! non-CORBA! :)

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/