How do we want the different parts to integrate (Was Re: What goes in gnome office? (Lets keep it simple))

tis 2002-04-16 klockan 22.36 skrev Adrian Custer:
> Hey all,

Hi!

Thanks, I can only say I agree with you. I had been thinking of sending
a mail to start a discussion about what kind of integration we want
between the applications.

For example MS Office have VERY much integration, probably much more
than you need. But we need to get a list of things that you want to do
be able to do between the apps (like your example of sending a project
as an attachment in a mail). That is exactly what we are using Evolution
for in MrProject 0.5.X (not in the GNOME 2 branch since evolution isn't
ported yet).

I can only speak for MrProject but here are some first ideas how we
would like to be able to integrate with the other applications that's
been discussed:

Abiword:
--------

We would like to be able to write a document in Abiword and insert
graphs, data about tasks/resources, cost calculations and such from the
MrProject data in the document and have it be updated.

Either by having an Abiword component in MrProject or by running Abiword
beside and have it fetch data through Mrproject.

Gnumeric:
---------

We'd like to be able to use the math engine in Gnumeric for stuff in
MrProject. I think you can find a lot of good uses for this.

Be able to use data from Gnumeric in MrProject and the other way around.
So that you for example have your resources in MrProject and get them
displayed in cells in Evolution.

I think you can find lots of good ways to interact between MrProject and
Gnumeric.

Evolution:
----------

In MrProject 0.5.X we support to write an email to a certain resource,
to all resources in a group of resources, to the project leader of a
project.

We would also like to be able to integrate with the calendar in some way
so that you can export data from MrProject into an Evolution calendar.
(We would also like to use the Evolution calendar in MrProject
preferably as a stand-alone widget).

Import resources from a the address-component of Evolution.

Set TODO's in Evolution regarding tasks in MrProject ...

Well, this is just a try to get the discussion started on how we really
want the different parts to integrate. If we know that it's much easier
to start figuring what's the shortest path to get it.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/