Re: How do we want the different parts to integrate (Was Re: What goes in gnome office? (Lets keep it simple))

On Tue, 2002-04-16 at 23:40, Mikael Hallendal wrote:

> Well, this is just a try to get the discussion started on how we really
> want the different parts to integrate. If we know that it's much easier
> to start figuring what's the shortest path to get it.

I think we should define some generic way of integrating apps, not only
specific ways (accessing Evolution from MrProject, GDA plugin in
gnumeric, etc). Having some generic way of making 2 GO apps talk very
easily, without knowing of each other.

Of course, specific 'plugins' are also a good idea, since they give more
features and integration, but having some generic way of sharing data
might be nice.

For this, it seems Bonobo is again the best option, since we could:

* allow communication of apps via known interfaces.
* embed graphics made in 1 app into another (MrProject's graphs,
GNOME-DB graphs, Gnumeric graphs, etc)
* embed *any* GO document into any GO app

Of course, we could just use a simple plugin system (shared libraries),
without Bonobo at all, but, at the end, what we need is a set of common
interfaces (CORBA or non-CORBA) so that making GO apps talk to each
other is easy.

This will help a lot in having more integration.

cheers