Re: How do we want the different parts to integrate (Was Re: What goes in gnome office? (Lets keep it simple))

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 11:40:22PM +0200, Mikael Hallendal wrote:

> We'd like to be able to use the math engine in Gnumeric for stuff in
> MrProject. I think you can find a lot of good uses for this.
I don't know that this would be a good idea at the component level.
Possibly at a libgnumeric level.

> Be able to use data from Gnumeric in MrProject and the other way around.
> So that you for example have your resources in MrProject and get them
> displayed in cells in Gnumeric.
This sounds like a reasonable use case for bonobo's monikers.

I'd like to focus on lower level things first that will simplfy our
lives later.

    - value formating
    If we can share format specs graphs and their axis will be much
    better integrated.

    - plugin management
    Again sharing this will give all of the apps a similar feel for
    developers, and will help foster tools.

    - common structured file format
    If we can all read and write to the same substrate (different
    content formats) it will simplify embedding.

and in an ideal world
    - Shared object drawing layer
    The ability to embed a dia like app in the big 3
	wp,ss,presentation
    will greatly simplify interoperability.

Lets focus on concrete code and interfaces now.  Longer term
features will take time.