Re: What goes in gnome office (Lets keep it simple)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Jody Goldberg wrote:

>     GIMP	- A great app, but lets start small

AbiWord has a plugin to use this directly from with abiwrd. (Choose edit
image up pops GIMP with your image for editing.)

>     GFax	- Possibly later, lets start small

This is a a very useful program that could be eaily itegrated with abiword
via a plugin.

Is gnome-print in the gnome-office library?

Does it make sense for a program like Gaby to be included in gnome-office?
I think we should have some kind of calendar/addressbook/database and
gnome has had these for some time.

> Questions
> ---------
> 1) Are people ok with the notion of starting with a small set of packages ?
> 2) Email/News in Office or Network ?

email is about the number 1 application in an office. It makes perfect
sense for it to be included in the gnome-offce. I have finally got a basic
widgized abiword running. Now this is a done an AbiWord bonobo-control is
not far off. With this it should be easy to extend evolution to allow
in-line reading of MS Word, rtf, Word Perfect and of course abiword
documents emailed to people.

I haven't used balsa and don't know if it is possible to do this easily
with balsa. If not, evolution is the hands down choice for the email
client.

 > 3) Which (all?) drawing app ?

sketch has been in version 0.7x for over a year. Sodipodi appears to make
steady progress. I guess we should decide which is the more useful and
stable program at some defined date and go with that.

Cheers

Martin