Re: short minute of meeting at guadec

On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 23:37, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 23:26, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > gnome-db is also ready to be a GNOME Office application, even though
> > it's not 1.0 yet :-). gnome-db uses heavily Bonobo, which is, in my
> > opinion, the thing to use as the glue for GNOME Office apps.
>
> it may have missed my notes :)

I wasn't at the BOF, so it's my fault :-( I didn't even know about it,
since my program said 'BOF #3', which is the one I suppose was the GNOME
Office one :-(

> > > Jody:
> > >  - gtk? for a future...
> > >  - present: advantages from using glib (unlimited undo redo, and other
> > >             cool stuff)
> > >  - use more shared elements (like a shared zippy file), embbeding stuff
> > one of the best things we should start doing is to move the different
> > filters for file formats to a libgnomeoffice. So, the question is, what
> > do you think about moving the different filters being used in gnumeric,
> > abiword, etc to that libgnomeoffice? How difficult would that be for
> > cross-platforms apps such as abiword?
>
> I don't know how to answer this, maybe someone else will be able to do
> it.
> Right now, most of abiword's filters are built in, although there's no
> real reason they shouldn't be transformed into plugins.
>
> However, I can't see exactly how can gnumeric (for instance) benefit in
> terms of code from a load word doc plugin...

to export to that format. It might make no sense in some situations, but
in some it makes a lot of sense. For instance:

* create a .gnumeric file from a resulset retrieved in gnome-db. It
makes a lot of sense, since you can easily map database rows to gnumeric
rows.

* create a database via GNOME-DB from gnumeric.

* create an abiword document from a gnumeric spreadsheet, graphic,
database data, etc

and a lot of other examples.

> > This will give us a lot of integration, since we'll be able to
> > understand all formats in all GO applications, and that will allow us to
> > do very nice things, such as creating a gnumeric spreadsheet directly
> > from gnome-db, without knowing about any specific CORBA interface or
> > whatever.
>
> bindings between gnome-db and gnumeric may seem reasonable in certain
> circunstances (but i can't see any right now.

well, there is already a plugin for gnumeric, for inserting data from a
database into a gnumeric spreadsheet, via gnome-db. I can see a lot of
other usages we can use to integrate data from a DB into a spreadsheet.

cheers