Re: GUADEC Results

On 10 Apr 2001 11:21:02 +0200, Almer S. Tigelaar wrote:
> Hi,
> >   Sadly, politics has been a problem for GNOME Office almost since the
> >   beginning.  However, since the only people at GUADEC interested in
> >   GNOME Office development were the folks working on the previously
> >   mentioned apps, we decided to damn the torpedoes and work with the
> >   excellent apps we have, and make them even better and more
> >   integrated.
>
> If what we consider to be "Gnome Office" does not include "Open...."
> prefixes (or "Star... for Jody :-))
> someone should remove direct references to those applications from the
> gnome office page at http://gnome.org/gnome-office/
> at least, for now...
> (We might want to provide links to other "office projects" like OO en
> KOffice on a separate page or something
> like that)

I don't feel comfortable about removing OO from the GNOME Office pages,
unless I get a go ahead from the GNOME Foundation to do so. Especially
since the Sun OO hackers have finally started contacting me about fixes
for the pages.

> >   GnuCash, I am told, has expressed the active desire _not_ to be
> >   considered part of GNOME Office.
>
> I think we really need to check on this thouroughly, GNUCash does seem
> like
> a valuable app for inclusion to me.

I talked to the Gnucash authors and while they did not want to be part
of a GNOME Office software release, they didn't mind being on the GNOME
Office pages.

> >   Other potential candidates for inclusion are [2] :
> > [...]
>
> Probably the maintainers of those apps should be mailed and asked
> weather
> they want to join our happy family of office apps :-)

Don't know which apps you guys refer to here :), but all the apps on the
GNOME Office pages was contacted about being there, which they
wanted/agreed to.

Christian