Re: GUADEC Results

Hi,

>   Sadly, politics has been a problem for GNOME Office almost since the
>   beginning.  However, since the only people at GUADEC interested in
>   GNOME Office development were the folks working on the previously
>   mentioned apps, we decided to damn the torpedoes and work with the
>   excellent apps we have, and make them even better and more
>   integrated.

If what we consider to be "Gnome Office" does not include "Open...."
prefixes (or "Star... for Jody :-))
someone should remove direct references to those applications from the
gnome office page at http://gnome.org/gnome-office/
at least, for now...
(We might want to provide links to other "office projects" like OO en
KOffice on a separate page or something
like that)

>   GnuCash, I am told, has expressed the active desire _not_ to be
>   considered part of GNOME Office.

I think we really need to check on this thouroughly, GNUCash does seem
like
a valuable app for inclusion to me.

>   Other potential candidates for inclusion are [2] :
> [...]

Probably the maintainers of those apps should be mailed and asked
weather
they want to join our happy family of office apps :-)

>   We came out of GUADEC with a number of goals, some quite vague, and
>   some quite specific.  Here are a few:
>   - Release GNOME Office 1.0 with GNOME 2.0.  This means by Dec 31,
>   2001.

I do think this is somewhat optimistic, remember that we have to port
our applications
to the GNOME 2 platform this year and we still have to polish (add
features, stabilize)
our applications in parallel....

>   - Integrate with the other GNOME Office applications better.  This
>   means using technologies like Bonobo.

This is absolutely one of the most important things that we need to be
called an "office suite" instead of a loosely coupled set of
applications.

Yours sincerely,

Almer S. Tigelaar