Re: Bonobo - storage formats ...

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 07:26:22PM -0500, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   Sounds really good. Assuming that API wise ABI get bonoboized, the next
> > step is to try to reach compatibility at the serialization level.
> >   Did you had a look at the suggested OpenOffice XML/Zip bazed format ?
>
>         This really should not be an issue addressed at the AbiWord
> level; this is something to be addressed by the OpenOffice / Bonob guys
> who write bonobo storage / stream backends. This can be done totaly
> transparently.

  maybe, yes.

>         All AbiWord should do is implement Bonobo/PersistStream, and tell
> the world that it supports an XML content type ( and probably an
> application/x-word ). Then everything can be done by a Bonobo plug-in
> storage module to turn it into a flat xml document ( or whatever ), zip
> it etc.

  a small point on this subject. Unfortunately it's getting clear that
mime types are not getting sufficient anymore to qualify the content of
an XML document (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-murata-xml-09.txt
and +xml tricks). Using namespaces to detect the right tool for handling
a piece of XML seems a better approach. I don't know if Bonobo is
extendable for such mechanisms. This is something which should be added
in some way to the metadata part of the OpenOffice XML/Zip format (i will
send a mail to xml openoffice org on the subject).

> PS. can we stop cross posting to foundation-list ?

  Sure, it's replacing gnome-hacker as the right place to ramble and
start interesting discussion from flames :-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | http://xmlsoft.org/