Re: Specifying Office Component IDL?

Sam TH wrote:
It would be very nice for AbiWord to be usable this way, and I'm sure
that it would benifit people.  Unfortunately, AbiWord can't be built
from the ground up with components, the way SO or Evolution are,
because of the lack of XP component frameworks.  So, while we will
probably be set up that AbiWord can be embedded in another
application, or used as WordProcessor component (if there is one) we
won't be usable as a text formatter, say, independetly of the rest of
the application.  At least not until Windows ships with Bonobo.  :-)

This is not wholly true, Sam. What I think that we're missing on at least the Gnome side is a lack of "bonobo-ized" components/controls. For example, say I cook up some cool ass toolbar that gnumeric wants to use. Where might I put it? Well, what would probably happen now is that it would go into GAL and we'd both use it as a shared library. This is bad from a number of standpoints.

What do I think that we need done? I think that we need to start creating small gnome components. Maybe start with GAL widgets. AbiWord and Gnumeric and OO could use them (or more specialized components) through bonobo calls: bonobo_get_object("Gnome-Office Toolbar", "Bonobo/Control");

See an excellent write-up on bonobo and Monikers by Miguel and Mike Meeks here: http://primates.helixcode.com/~miguel/monikers.html

It's true that we would probably never be as component-based as Evolution in our architecture. However, if you look at the whole MVC architecture that the AbiSource guys initially wrote and we continue to work within, it does look and act a whole lot like COM.

Dom