Re: [gnome-nl] Status of the Ubuntu Docs in Natty+Oneiric

Hi,

On 9 July 2011 10:01, Hannie <lafeber-dumoleyn2 zonnet nl> wrote:
> We, Ubuntu Dutch Translators, are currently translating gnome-user-docs, the
> Ubuntu Desktop Guide you get when you press F1 in Ubuntu Natty (with Unity),
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+source/gnome-user-docs/+pots/gnome-user-docs-gnome-help/nl/.
> But following the discussion on this subject, see discussions below, I am
> not sure what I'll get when I press F1 in Oneiric. If gnome-user-docs is no
> longer going to be used in Oneiric (Unity), there is no point in continuing
> translating the Natty version, since we are not far from the Oneiric
> release. On the other hand, if it will be used in Oneiric, finishing the
> Natty version is important because it is likely that most of the strings
> will also appear in the Oneiric version.

The latter position is correct. The strings currently used in
gnome-user-docs (natty) will be present in the ubuntu-docs package
(oneiric), although updates will be made to reflect changes to the
software as between natty and oneiric. For now it is worth translating
gnome-user-docs (natty) because updates will be shipped to this
package. Do not translate any oneiric documentation, it is too early
in the release and these strings may change.

The gnome-user-docs (oneiric) package will contain the upstream
documentation and will be used for gnome-shell (not installed by
default).

> Another issue is the upstream translation. I can upload the Launchpad
> translation, once it is finished on Launchpad, to Gnome-nl. But I want to
> know if, in the LP document, there are strings added for the Ubuntu users
> only.

About half the strings in gnome-user-docs (natty) come from
gnome-user-docs upstream, so it is worth uploading the translations.

> And as for ubuntu-docs,
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-docs/natty/+lang/nl, is this what
> is called the new topic-based help help ("Desktop Help"), and will this be
> used in Oneiric?

No, this will be dropped in Oneiric. This is documentation for the
ubuntu-classic desktop, which is present in Natty, but not in Oneiric.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org