[gnome-network] How can I set up my modem not to wait for the Dial Tone (ATX1 command)?

I am just trying to make my modem work, but for this I need to tell the
modem not to wait for the Dial Tone. As far as I know this is done by
sending the ATX1 command to the modem, but how can I convince
network-manager to send this command prior dialing the phone number?

By the way, I am using Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, Dapper Drake.

Best regards,

Dr. Dominik Kuropka          E-Mail: dominik kuropka net
                             Web: http://www.kuropka.net