Re: [gnome-network]ssh and the gnome desktop

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 15:11, Mark Finlay wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> In my experience ssh is becoming the standard for unix remote
> administration as well as on the fly file access. I use ssh to get at
> all my unix accounts in college and on the web and so does everyone else
> I know.
>
> And to be honest the state of ssh in Gnome is poor. ssh: in nautilus is
> unreliable and only can be used if you have password-less access
> working.
>
> gnome-vfs-sftp is a lot better, but still not perfect. It does use
> ssh-askpass if available (apparently, I haven't tried)

yes, it needs

>  which is nice. It
> still needs to stabalising and bugfixing and stuff.

works pretty well for me, I haven't had problems with it. What problems
are you getting with it?

> Has anyone given this area any thought? gnome-vfs-sftp isn't even in
> Gnome cvs.
>  Should it be added and become part of the gnome-network
> meta-package or should it be added as a module to gnome-vfs?

I think it's going to be added to gnome-vfs, not sure. There are plans,
thats for sure, for 2.6 to fix that.

> Someone(probably me) needs to contact it's maintainer and try and get it
> sorted...
>
> I'd really like to get this in a much better shape for Gnome 2.6

yes, I think in fact having ssh: working as well as sftp does might be
an easy affordable compromise.

cheers