Re: [gnome-network]Zeroconf

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 09:14 +0200, Álvaro Peña González wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 	I read some messages about a zerconf implementation. Mandrake use the
> applications from zeroconf.sf.net, zcip (IP autoconfiguration) and tmdns
> (multicast DNS responder). Yes, the tmdns is in the cvs and no announced
> in the website, and zcip haven't cvs, but it's in the web page.

> 	This can be a good points to start a zeroconf implementation for
> gnome-network.

yes, I have been thinking on this these days, and it makes a lot of
sense.

>  And with a DNS Service Discovery the implementation can
> be more useful. Swampwolf implement it
> (http://www.swampwolf.com/products/) in Howl, but use code from Apple's
> Rendezvous, with the Apple license.

what I was thinking is to have a RendezVous API in gnome-network, which
can be used by other apps to discover servers for the services they
want. I think this is how this works in Mac (Safari uses it to discover
web servers, etc). Can somebody with a Mac provide a good report of how
all this is done?

> 	What do you think about it? Perhaps starting with a glib port of zcip
> and tmdns? Perhaps I'm wrong. Somebody know other zeroconf project?

there are a few in sourceforge.

And why a glib port of tmdns? It seems to be just a daemon, to be run as
any other system daemon, so why do we need a glib port of it? Or am I
wrong?

What we could start thinking about is about a glib implementation of
SLP, since it seems that due to license conflicts, we might not be able
to use libslp.

cheers