RE: [GNOME-my]JHbuild of Gnome 2.5 - march 15

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 22:01, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> > > A few days ago, I came across a review of gnome2.5(aka
> > gnome 2.6) and wanted
> > > test it out for myself. I also went to the path of jhbuild.
> >
> > It would've been easier to use garnome and the tarballs :)
>
> Speaking from experience?? You also went the jhbuild path

I used Garnome before. Jhbuild is a comparatively new tool

> > Hmm, could be missing some devel stuff. Even standard Fedora Core 1
> > requires lots of stuff to be installed.
>
> I'm still trying to iron things out.. I've Dl'ed the tarballs for
> garnome.(bz2 files). I hope it's not gonna tell me it wants/needs
> .gz instead

Hmm. Can't remember. Read the garnome docs.

> > That's the problem. If you're using /opt/gtk2 in your .jhbuildrc, and
> > you rename it to /opt/gnome2.5, you're asking for trouble.
>
> I made a OOPs.. what can I say. But what irks me more is that
> jhbuild doesn't seem to catch the -a flag or the --clean flag
> for some reason. And for my case, whenever I tried to use
> both of these flags, compile keeps getting screwy.

Bugzilla it. But the OOPs are seriously a problem:
http://www.advogato.org/person/thomasvs/diary.html?start=147

> > You speak Turkish? ;)
>
> No.. But that was making installation hang. I had to intervene.
> Try doing that when you're trying to get some shuteye at 4am
> and you have to get up at 7am for work!
>
> had to manually remove the tr.po references.

Never had issues; even yesterday.

> > I did. Newer versions of jhbuild (like what you would have used) would
> > check to make sure you're not missing stuff.
>
> I spoked to jamesh on IRC yesterday. He walked me through some stuffs
> but he also mentioned that jhbuild bootstrap doesn't really work well.
> Mentioned that I should go update it from my distro. Since RH9 is EOL,
> Can't seem to find (updated) rpms. (Gotta learn to roll my own rpms)

Serisouly, use Fedora Core 1 at least (or Debian). jamesh uses it too,
iirc.

Getting an srpm of the latest, you can build 9.0 RPMs.

> > You can install automake manually, from gnu.org's ftp site. I do this
> > for Panther builds.
>
> Yeah.. I tried that.. it defaults install into /usr/local.
> In some sense it's Good. But I wonder how to to overcome
> dependency or whatever.. (I do use checkinstall though)

Did it all pass? And passing Makefiles prefix'es to where it should be
installed can also be done :)

> > > 3. Right now.. gnome-terminal meta-gnome-core (what is
> > >this?), gtkhtml2(some dependency prob), yelp, gedit
> > >gnomemeeting (due to PWLib not installed. I
> > > have no idea what that is..) and meta-gnome-desktop.
> >
> > Didn't compile?
>
> Yeah.. Didn't compile. (Was I really that absent minded to
> have missed that out?? Dang.. Getting old)

What build errors did you see - jhbuild throws nice errors, the last
time I checked.

> > Did eog compile properly? When jhbuild runs, in an ideal system, it'll
> > never ask you questions and you'll compile about 88 apps,
> > without *any*
> > issues. That means going away, drinking lots of coffee, and
> > coming back
> > a few hours later to find GNOME 2.5 built in /opt/mygnomedir
>
> I guess so.. It never asked me any questions. As mentioned, it's
> not only EOG,but anything that asks for the file selector.
> Maybe GTK+ screwed

Maybe. When compiling it, it will tell you of such an error.

> > Your .jhbuildrc is probably in error. Don't rename /opt/gtk2 to
> > /opt/gnome25 after compilation.
>
> I wanted a _clean_ install into /opt/gnome26 since /opt/gtk2 seems
> obscure

Did your .jhbuildrc point to /opt/gnome26 ?

> > My experience of building it:
> > http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2004/2/1/building-gnome-25
>
> Been there.. Done that.. Didn't have any of those probs
>
> Gonna try garnome build tonight (if I'm up to it.. Need some shut
> eye. If there's any dependency nightmare.. I'll just pack it up
> and head on to bed..)

All the best
--
Colin Charles, byte aeon com my