totem will not start

Fedora 20 x86_64 with fluendo codec pack.

Earlier today it was working just fine for playing mp3, Ogg Vorbis, and
Ogg Opus files.

However earlier today I got sick of the constant x.org crashes and gave
in, installing the nvidia drivers via rpmfusion.

That got rid of the x.org crash but now totem will not start. I tried
from the command-line to see if there were error messages but there are
none.

Rhythmbox works and html5 video in midori works, so both audio and video
that use GStreamer backend work - just not totem.

How to I diagnose this problem so I can get it working again?
It is critical to what I do, I'm working on a project involving scripted
transcoding of audio and totem is the nicest way to check the results (I
don't want every test transcode in my rhythmbox library)

Thank you for suggestions,

Alice Wonder