Re: Presets and profiles

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 14:10 +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/5/4 Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <uraeus gnome org>
>
>         The second is a device level description of the Device in XML:
>         http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/DeviceProfile
>
> As this document indicates, the video settings will depend on the iPod
> model. All iPods supporting video (except for the iphone/ipod touch)
> export XML data describing the video formats they support, see
> http://www.ipodlinux.org/wiki/Device_Information and grep for
> "VideoCodec" for an example of what kind of information is available
> on the iPod. Dunno if that's enough to build a device profile or not..
> If that's enough and if you think libgpod should export this
> information, let me know exactly how you'd like it to be done ;)

This is indeed enough to know how to encode for the device - H.264
Baseline @ Level 1.3 with maximum bitrate, width, height and Low
Complexity AAC up to 160kbps @ 48000Hz. No container info but since it's
an iPod we know to use MP4 and name it e.g. m4v.

I'm a bit disappointed that the newer iDevices (TM) don't have the plist
on them... any idea why? Seems like a step in the wrong direction
removing them. I was hoping to add support for transcoding directly to
iPods into Arista with libgpod's Python bindings and this info would
really be useful while waiting for the real device profiles to get
finalized and working.

Either way if this info is somehow obtainable from newer generation
iDevices I think it makes sense to definitely expose it, either as just
an xml file on the device or as properties in the libgpod Database (or
other) object.
--
Daniel G. Taylor
http://programmer-art.org