Re: Annoying beeps

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 17:59 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I recently installed a new system and got almost deaf by my laptop's
>> annoying beep of the pc speaker. There are a lot of ways to disable
>> it, but shouldn't this get fixed in the right way?
>>
>> I can't help but image showing a brand new Linux system to a bunch of
>> people with Compiz, and all these video and audio capabilities,
>> virtualizing Windows and what not, but hit backspace in the wrong
>> location and BEEP! Straight to the 80's.
>>
>> Shouldn't something in GNOME map XBeep or whatever to something more
>> appropriate?
>
> rmmod pcspkr

Again; there are a lot of ways to disable it, but shouldn't this get
fixed in the right way?

 * In Sound Prefereneces -> System Beep -> Disable system beep
 * xset b 0
 * rmmod pcspkr

Of all these, only one is user-friendly, and it doesn't work in my
system. It doesn't surprise me, who would test such a thing?

I would guess 90% of the people disable it, so why is it enabled by
default in the first place?

And I bet no one would disagree with a nice error sound instead. Are you?

--
Felipe Contreras