Annoying beeps

Hi everyone,

I recently installed a new system and got almost deaf by my laptop's
annoying beep of the pc speaker. There are a lot of ways to disable
it, but shouldn't this get fixed in the right way?

I can't help but image showing a brand new Linux system to a bunch of
people with Compiz, and all these video and audio capabilities,
virtualizing Windows and what not, but hit backspace in the wrong
location and BEEP! Straight to the 80's.

Shouldn't something in GNOME map XBeep or whatever to something more
appropriate?

Best regards.

--
Felipe Contreras