Re: Notes from Sound BoF at GUADEC 2008

On Wed, 16.07.08 00:34, Rémi Cardona (remi gentoo org) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> On Tue, 15.07.08 01:13, Lennart Poettering (lennart poettering net) wrote:
>>
>>> Heya!
>>>
>>> At GUADEC 2008 in Istanbul we had a little improvised Desktop Sound BoF.
>>> Here
>>> are my notes:
>
> /me is sad to have missed it :(
>
>>>             3. Allow passing of role to gst-pulse.
>
> Lennart, I'm not sure to understand what you mean by that. Could you
> elaborate a bit more? (I'm just being curious :) )

If an application can tag its audio streams with something like
"video", "music", "phone", "event" or suchlike, i like to call this a
"role". gst likes to call this a "class".

libcanberra/PA know these roles:

 video
 music
 game
 phone
 event       -- event sounds
 production  -- audio production programs (wav editors ...)
 filter      -- a stream that is just an output of some kind of other filter element
 abstract    -- an abstract sound like sine test sounds and similar
 stream      -- a generic stream, streamed in from another host or sound server

Right now gst-pulse doesn't allow the app to set the role when a
pipeline is connected. I need to fix that.

Lennart