Re: Multimedia players - odd observations

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 01:37:47 +0000, Iain * wrote
(<35fafc140703201837j23dbbeadve05c22be9450e5b3 mail gmail com>):

> The problem *may* be that the other players do CDDA (note not CDDB)
> but I don't think gnome-cd 2.8 did that, and so it requires a cable
> inside your computer to link it to the CD Audio connector on your
> motherboard. 2.8 is rather old and I believe more recent versions
> don't have that problem, but I've not used it for a very long time...

The lack of an separate audio cable may indeed be the explanation for
the lack of sound on the (aged) gnome-cd 2.8.  Like all other
packages on Debian Sarge is about 2 years out of date.  So that
problem will (hopefully) vanish when the official release of Debian
hits the decks.

However, I fear that I was needlessly long-winded in my posting.

My main concern was that the Gnome CD player loads automatically
when it detects the presence of an audio CD in my DVD drive and I
failed to find a configuration setting to switch off this feature.

Hopefully this problem will also be resolvable when I get access to a
later version of gnome-cd.

My thanks to all respondents who were good enough to reply so promptly
to my posting (via gmane - since I am not a regular subscriber to this
list).

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen