Re: Common music database?

Ross Burton wrote:
On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 13:33 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
I'm not saying that every bit of meta data has to go but there are some
base ones that should since they still apply.  For instance:

* ratings
* stats (how many times you've played this song)
* when was it added to the library
* user defined tags
* id3 tags
* album art (debatable, I don't think it's a good idea, but whatever)

I don't know about you, but I actually use several music players
depending on what I'm doing since I find that not all suits my needs.

Having these common makes switching easier when you want to switch.
Otherwise they keep you stuck on the same apps.  If you've tagged and
rated 10,000 songs you're not going to want to do that again.  Hence,
the need for a common music database so we don't have 10 different
implementations, and also it becomes part of the GNOME platform
making it easier to create new playeres with different emphasis.
At least that is what I'm thinking.

Of course another solution in the common case where the music store is
writable would be to write this metadata into the files themselves.  It
would probably be a good idea to make this optional (in the case of a
shared store) but all of that metadata could be added to the files, and
a music database would simply be a rapid access cache of the underlying
data.

yeah that would be something nice for Tracker to do (seeing as Vista has the capability to edit embedded metadata in its file manager and probably elsewhere too)

Can you recommend a suitable xdg library for writing tags for all media?

Is the GStreamer stuff okay for this?

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/