Re: multimedia capplet

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 20:07, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:24:18AM -0500, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> > > - Soundcard output type: Stereo, 4.0, 5.0, 5.1 or even AC3 passthrough
> > > (an int, from an enum)
>
> Is there no way to autodetect this ?

No, absolutely not :)

> > > - Network speed: 56k, ISDN, Cable, bleh (see Totem's prefs for the
> > > complete list) (int from an enum as well), that would be used for
> > > Streaming protocols that support such a thing (only mms and rtsp that I
> > > know of)
> Seems fairly bogus in the context of a laptop.

They are used to select the stream used for things like mms:/// and
rtsp:/// streaming, which have different streams based on the connection
speed. No way to detect this without a lot of traffic (like you're going
to try and max out a 1 Gbit LAN...).

> > > - Contrast/Brightness for the video (in percents)
> Hmm, interesting.  If we actually made the display capplet something
> functional I could see having this there in conjunction with dpi
> settings.  It also has some trouble in the context of laptops, or
> more specificly things with speedstep.  When I'm on battery power
> things should dim

That's for videos, not laptop screens. For laptop brightness
configuration, you're looking at different code, and electronics for
each laptop/laptop manufacturer (I know of code to do that for Apple and
IBM laptops).

> > A couple thoughts:
> >
> >  * How does these fit in with the Sound, Network, and Display dialogs?
> >  * The sound settings in particular seems like they belongs in the sound capplet.
> >  * Network speed can be quite variable.
> agreed.
>
> > > It's about an hour's worth of work, just setting some GConf keys, which
> > > both xine-lib and GStreamer-based apps could use in the desktop.
> > > The main problem is where we should put this code. I'd like to see it
> > > added to the control-center myself as there aren't any additional deps.
> >
> > If the keys are needed, we can add them to libgnome and let individual
> > apps configure them.  That may be a better solution.
> >
> > > Any comments?
> >
> > I'm not sold on a generic 'multimedia' capplet, but think the keys sound
> > fine.  I can be convinced on the dialog though, if you make a good
> > case.  Jody, do you have an opinion?
>
> Some of the keys seem generally useful, but I'm not condfident we've
> handled all the use cases enough to not screw ourselves in more
> complex environments.  Given all the other ings on the plate I'd
> rather see this discussed and put in early in 2.7.

I'll just do a capplet in Totem, and see how it goes with that.

Cheers

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the
statue.