Re: Food for thought - GNOME-2.8 and multimedia

Hi Bastien,

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 19:23, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 17:55, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> > * given the increasing media support in GStreamer, do we want to target
> > for totem-gst in GNOME 2.8 again? If so, separate package or as part of
> > GNOME-media (easy side-entrance)? Bastien, do you mind totem-gst (rather
> > than totem-xine - for the obvious legal reasons) going into GNOME-2.8 now?
> > Too early?
>
> As long as feature-wise it's as capable as the xine backend (or that
> non-implemented features are hidden) and that it's pretty stable (I
> mean, idiot proof stable, not "works for me if i don't do that, and
> that" stable), I'm not against it.
I guess this is something in progress. The Xine backend still works
better than the GStreamer backend right now (imo). This is mostly
because of the oh-so-good ffmpeg integration in ffmpeg (similar to
mplayer). I'm working on that with others, but am not yet as far as
xine/mplayer (see #138435). We're slowly getting there, though.

This probably needs a few more months before a real decision can be
made, but I'll definately go for it.

(And it should be less crash-prone if the media playback is not
supported, I agree with that.)

Ronald